Did you wake up not feeling like reading your Bible and praying? How many times today have you had to battle not feeling like doing things you know would be good for you? While it’s true that this is our indwelling sin that we must repent of and fight against, there’s more going on.
Think about this strange pattern that occurs over and over in just about every area of life:
* Good food requires discipline to prepare and eat while junk food tends to be the most tasty, addictive, and convenient.
* Keeping the body healthy and strong requires frequent deliberate discomfort while it only takes constant comfort to go to pot.
* You have to make yourself pick up that nourishing theological book while watching a movie can feel so inviting.
* You frequently have to force yourself to get to devotions and prayer while sleeping, reading the sports, and checking Facebook seems effortless.
* To play beautiful music requires thousands of hours of tedious practice.
* To excel in sports requires monotonous drills ad nauseum.